Of all the trendsetting looks descending the SS16 runways at New York Fashion Week, the hair at Hervé Léger was one of my absolute favs. This braided crown pony, created by stylist Orlando Pita for TRESemme, echoed the style of the new collection perfectly.
“It’s the 30th anniversary of Hervé Léger so we’re embracing a new direction with a more organic quality in our handwork and elements of nature incorporated into the collection. We wanted to collaborate with Orlando on a softer braid and really play with texture more than we have before, ” said designer Lubov Azria.
And collaborate they did! It’s a new softer look for our Hervé Léger girl this season. “She’s still creating a strong statement with the braid, but we’ve played with making this more relaxed with purposely pulled out with loose pieces that frame her face and create beautiful movement when she walks,” Orlando said.
Want to style your hair like this? Grab a blow dryer (spotted this one at more than one station backstage), round bristle brush, small elastics, and a few TRESemme products and you’re ready to get started.
Here’s the scoop from Orlando on how to get the runway look at home:
Step 1: Start by washing your hair using Perfectly (un)Done Weightless Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and towel dry.
Step 2: Apply Max The Volume Root Lifting Cream from the roots to ends and blow dry with a round bristle brush.
Step 3: Create a deep side part and then starting from the crown, begin French braiding down across the forehead. Feed hair from underneath so the braid is raised up and let a few strands of hair fall onto the forehead to create additional texture.
Step 4: Secure the braid into a low pony at the nape of the neck with a small elastic and pull over your shoulder.
Step 5: Finish the look by spraying Perfectly (un)Done Ultra Brushable Hold Hairspray (which I totally love and use all the time) for light hold. Voila! Runway perfect hair. 😉
Fun hair news alert! Michael Dueñas, celeb hair expert and founder of Hair Room Service, launched his own YouTube Series today. After high demand from Michael’s Instagram fans requesting to learn how he creates styles for celebs like Shailene Woodley, Cara Delevingne, Lea Michele, and Mariah Carey, he brings his talent in front of the camera.
The series will feature weekly hair tutorials of the latest red carpet trends, kicking off with the popular look he created on Gotham‘s Erin Richards – the Heart Shaped Fishtail Bun. The style itself is adorable and Michael displays how to effortlessly whip up this unique style so quickly in this video! Read on for step-by-step instructions and take a peek at the video to see his work in action.
Heart Shaped Fishtail Bun instructions:
- Start with smooth dry hair.
- Secure the hair into a low tight ponytail. Texture can be pulled into the top and sides later.
- Create a fishtail braid (refer to fishtail braid tutorial in my video) and secure the end of the braid with a small elastic.
- Spray the braid with R+Co Outer Space Flexible Hold hairspray, to smooth flyaway and add longevity to the style.
- Fold the base of the braid up against the head, securing with a 3 inch hair pin just above the elastic of your ponytail.
- Spread the top part of the braid out for width and to emphasize the heart shape, making sure to keep the end of the braid small.
- Fold the braid flat against the head, tucking the ends under themselves to hide them.
- Pin to the head so it is flat as possible, and shape as desired.
Pennsatucky sure cleans up well! Orange is the New Black star Taryn Manning shined on the Emmys red carpet earlier this week. Celeb hairstylist (and founder of the awesome Hair Room Service) Michael Duenas styled her up with classic retro waves that I fell in love with. He also used some of my favorite products to create this effect! Here are the steps he used to create her look:
- Starting on damp hair add 2 golf ball sizes of OSiS+ Grip and a few spritz of OSiS+ Session Label Flexible Hold Hairspray to the roots.
- Blow dry with a Denman brush or vent brush, focusing on adding volume at the scalp.
- Take a deep side parting, just past the mid of the eyebrow.
- On the heavy side of the head, start at the top, take an inch thick section from the crown to the hairline, split that section in to 1-inch sections.
- Using a 1/2 inch curling iron, curl the 1-inch sections towards the face and pin until they are cool.
- Work in this same way, from behind the ear forward, curling all the hair and pinning.
- On the lighter side of the head, take 1-inch thick sections from just behind the ear, holding your iron horizontal curl the entire section at once away from the face, work from the parting down till you have curled all the hair.
- Working on the back of the head, take 2-inch sections in a brick-lay pattern and curl each section, vertically in different directions.
- Using a wide toothcomb, comb out the curls in the front, forming them into a wave.
- Brush out the rest of the head with your fingers and touch up with a Mason Pearson.
- Finish the look with OSiS+ Session Label Strong Hold Hairspray.