Prepare to be inspired.
Some of my absolute fav beauty brands – COVERGIRL, Olay, and Pantene – recently partnered with Levo, a company dedicated to career advice and mentorship for millennials in the workplace, to launch the Make a Power Move program. #MakeAPowerMove was designed to provide women with the beauty, style and career advice they need to put forward the best version of themselves. To celebrate this amazing partnership, they are hosting events to mentor women and provide the right tools they need to advance in their careers.
I was fortunate enough to be included among the group of women invited to experience their #MakeAPowerMove event in New York a few weeks ago. My fellow New Voices of Beauty winner Naty and I both attended and we had a ball getting our hair done with Pantene and our makeup done with COVERGIRL. Just like old times! (In related news, I’m obsessed with Pantene’s dry shampoo and its hair plumping magic. See below for evidence of this wizardry on my usually limp locks.)
I actually met Felicia right after I made my own latest power move, so I was thrilled to hear what she had to say. (As you may remember, I was invited to judge the Glam Beauty 100 literally the day after I took the big leap of faith and moved to New York. Felicia was a fellow judge and we had a blast together on that trip. Full circle!)
I was also eager to hear from Ali, who I remember as the badass who left #TheBachelor for her career, kickstarting a series of power moves that lead her to her current gig at E! News.
So, in addition to the usual goodies – the complimentary makeovers, passed macaroons and free booze – we walked away with so much more from this event. Ali, Felicia and the gals from Levo dished out some seriously inspiring advice for taking control of your career and living the life you deserve. Read on for some of my favorite takeaways from these inspiring females…
- Trust in yourself. Ali stressed the importance of staying positive and believing in yourself. “You’ll go through a lot of ups and downs– it’s part of the career journey. When times get tough, don’t beat yourself up — things don’t always go as planned. Keep a positive outlook, learn from your experiences and lean on your support system to continue growing in the workplace.” Excellent advice!
- Build strong peer relationships. “Traditionally in the workplace, there’s a lot of focus on mentor relationships, but it’s equally important to build peer relationships as well,” Felicia said. “Developing relationships at all levels helps build confidence in your abilities and establishes a level of shared trust to ensure your peers have your back. Both mentor and peer relationships are vital to career success.”
- Put your best face forward. Ali admits that hectic work schedules paired with an active social calendar can leave skin dull and tired-looking, which means you may not look and feel your best. A good moisturizing and anti-aging facial cream can help revive tired looking skin. “I rely on Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream which helps reveal brighter, younger-looking skin and fights the appearance of skin fatigue,” she said. I second her thoughts on the Olay cream. It’s incredible. And I truly believe that when you look good, you feel good.
- Go for a classic, bold lip. Felicia feels that a statement lip instantly creates a polished, professional look and I couldn’t agree more. “I like COVERGIRL Outlast Longwear Lipcolor in Red Rouge. It’s a nice pick-me-up if you find you need a little beauty boost right before a meeting. When wearing a bold, red lip, balance the rest of your look with neutral eye colors, soft liner, and a light pinch of color on the cheeks,” said Felicia. She also shared her tip for mixing up the traditional bold red lip – pat on the lip color with your finger rather than saturating your entire lip for a softer finish. Love it!
- Embrace the impact of eye contact. Eye contact is important because it sends a message of self-assurance — something that’s key when communicating your ideas! A quick and easy way to frame your peepers for optimal eye contact is with a swipe of volumizing mascara. “When I have a big meeting, the one makeup item I’m never without is mascara. It’s a quick and easy step that makes my eyes stand out in a flattering way,” said Felicia. Both Felicia and Ali shared their love for COVERGIRL The Super Sizer Mascara by LashBlast in particular. “Mascara is super important to me – I love a lash and a power lip!” said Ali. “I’m all about The Super Sizer Mascara by LashBlast.” For the record, I tested it out myself and can vouch for the awesomeness of The Super Sizer.
Hungry for more inspiration? Check out this amazing video full of empowering advice nuggets from the event. You might even recognize a few people in the video. 😉