On the Grammy’s Red Carpet last weekend, Katy Perry told Ryan Seacrest, “Everybody asks me, ‘Oh, when did you feel like you made it?’ And I was like, ‘Oh, when CoverGirl called me up and said, ‘Hey, do you want to be a CoverGirl?'”
Obviously, I loved hearing this, especially since it involves two of my favorite icons in the beauty industry – CoverGirl and Katy Perry. I think she is stunning and I totally wish I looked like her #IRL (in real life!). Since that’s not exactly possible, I’ll have to just use her killer fashion sense and fun beauty looks for inspiration.
I think she always looks awesome, whether she’s wearing a Kimono or a crazy Smurf dress, but the look that sticks out in my mind the most is the makeup she wore on the Grammy’s red carpet a few years back:
I love her “go big or go home” attitude that she embraces in her music and also in her daring fashion/beauty choices. This bold color palette made a definite statement. The hues are pulled from hints of the tones found in the iridescent rhinestones on her dress without being overtly matchy-matchy. I love to channel Katy’s red carpet beauty boldness regardless of the kind of event I’m going to. I really think it’s all in the way you carry yourself. If you own it, you can totally wear this color combo anywhere.
Here are the steps I took to get this look:
- I started by cleansing my hair with Pantene Pro-V’s Damage Detox Deep Cleanse Purifying Shampoo. It removes buildup from chemically treated hair to promote natural shine – exactly what I need to channel Katy’s shiny locks! I then blew my hair out and added a few soft curls with a curling iron.
- To prep my skin before makeup application I applied Olay Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream. This moisturizing, perfecting cream instantly brightens and smoothes skin, while reducing the appearance of dark spots.
- To sculpt my cheekbones, I used CoverGirl Instant Cheekbones in Purely Plum. This compact contains three coordinated shades that make creating natural looking contour a snap.
- For the eyeshadow, I applied a thin layer of Ice Queen CoverGirl Bombshell Shineshadow all over my lid from lashline to brow bone. It multitasks as an eyeshadow primer while reflective pigments intensify the shimmer of the eyeshadows I layered over it. I used a sweep of CoverGirl’s Flamed Out Shadow Pot in Blazing Purple on the top lid, and the same shadow in Lime Light underneath my lower lash line.
- To really open up the eye and add drama, I used CoverGirl Bombshell Volume by LashBlast Mascara. This entirely new mascara experience, unlike any other two-step offering available, features a first-of-its-kind Boost System that has two brushes and two formulas for mega volume and dramatic intensity. Step one loads on the volume with a big brush and mega-volumizing formula to thicken lashes. Step two seals the look with a dark, smooth finish.
- To create a pink pout like Katy’s, I used CoverGirl lipstick in Bombshell Explosion topped with a swipe of CoverGirl Smoochies Lip Balm in C U L8 R, to give it a little bit of a frosted effect.
- Finally, I applied Secret Destinations Collection deodorant in Hawaii Citrus Breeze – my new favorite scent! It keeps me feeling (and smelling!) fabulous – especially at special events when I’m running around greeting a bunch of people!
[Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Procter & Gamble and Lucky Magazine, but all opinions and ideas are my own.]