As I mentioned yesterday, the golden glam Selena Gomez rocked my favorite look of the MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet last night. I LOVED the juxtaposition of the fringy, but elegant Julien Macdonald mini-dress with the edgy disconnected braid. So fun! I got the scoop on how celeb stylist Marissa Marino of the Nine Zero One Salon in West Hollywood created that awesome pomp and cascading braid. She utilized all UNITE hair products on her tresses to get it done. Here are Marissa’s steps for Selena-style hair funkification:
1. To create the pompadour, section off hair from the front of your hairline and sprinkle it with the UNITE Expanda Dust ($25) throughout. Tease it back, using a comb. Next, pin this section with a bobby pin to secure it in place.
3. Create a French braid using all of the ponytails together.
4. Spray the UNITE Session Max Hairspray ($29.95) all over to tame frizzies and smooth the sides around the hairline.
5. To make the braid look undone, pull it apart and pin these pieces down, using bobby pins.
6. Finish the look with the UNITE Max Control Hairspray ($27.50) to tame down any flyaways.
Love love love that Marissa used the Expanda Dust to pomp her bangs because I am so into teasing with mattifying powders rather than sprays these days. It gives serious height, but more flexible hold so you don’t have that sticky shiny spray residue thing going on.
Back to Ms. Gomez, I think this is the most glamorous and grown up I’ve ever seen her. Definitely a look worth using as inspiration. Take that, Biebs!
[P.S. Don’t forget to vote for me, Katie McBroom, to help me become Allure Magazine’s Beauty Blogger of the Year! You can vote every weekday. Each week a new challenge will be posted on Monday at 9 a.m. It would mean the world to me if you could take a minute to do this! Remember, by voting for me you become eligible to win awesome prizes like a trip for two to Hawaii!]